Pesto with Cashew Nuts and Rocket
- Basil – a large bunch
- Rocket Leaves- same amount
- Cashew Nuts- 150g
- Garlic- 6 cloves
- Parmesan Cheese or Grana Padano- 3 tablespoons
- Olive Oil- sufficient quantity to achieve the right consistency
- Grind the nuts in a food processor and put aside
- Process the garlic
- Add the basil leaves (rinsed) and start adding the oil slowly till it emulsifies
- Add rocket, nuts and cheese and blend to a creamy consistency. The cashews give it a deliciously nutty taste.
If you intend to freeze the pesto do not add cheese before freezing. Instead add when cooking.
Pasta al Pesto di Rucola
To make pasta, gently fry a ladle of pesto in olive oil for a minute. Add boned black olives and toss the al dente pasta with a bit of the cooking liquid. Serve with more grated cheese.
Bruschetta with Pesto and Goat’s Cheese
Grill the bread lightly. Rub a garlic clove on the toasted surface of the bread. Sprinkle some olive oil and add a teaspoonful of the pesto. Mount with a slice of tomato and the sliced goat’s cheese. Place under hot overhead grill or in the oven until cheese melts. Other cheeses may be substituted.
For pesto potatoes boil baby potatoes until cooked. Mix in pesto and place in oven or under grill until they get some colour.